Sovereign Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foreign Language Thread HometiPortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterRulesLog in

Sovereign will be playing Neverwinter in the Beholder Server. Join us now!

Foreign Language Thread

Go down 
+3
SirAnon
Aries
Limepop
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Limepop
+ Sovereign Legion - Legionnaire
Limepop

Foreign Language Thread Empty
PostSubject: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 5:20 am

We have a player location thread, but none for spoken languages --?! Since we're a global guild & we know for a fact that many of the guildies are scattered across the US & Europe, the linguistics major in me can't help but pout at this. :[

So! Since I'm curious and nosy like that list the languages you speak or have studied?

Mine would be, in order of fluency:
  • English [Fluent | Reading & Writing]
  • Thai [Fluent | Reading & Writing]
  • Japanese [Currently Studying]
  • German [Previously Studied]
  • Latin [Previous Studied and hated all the pretentious classics majors D:]

My field of study is actually in second language acquisition ...but I'm going to be in school forever trying to get my doctorate, so I can't help but try to become multilingual. Just need to pick up another European language & maybe an African one, and I'll be set!
Back to top Go down
Aries
Aries

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 5:22 am

- English
- Polish
- Spanish
- Russian *Only a little*

~Sealed
Back to top Go down
SirAnon
Sovereign Loyalists - Past Glory
Sovereign Loyalists -  Past Glory
SirAnon

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 5:28 am

English - Fluent
Spanish - Semi-Fluent [I don't like speaking Spanish though, weird?]

That's it.....I'm so boring T^T

Like I said before though, I do plan on taking Japanese as a foreign language.
Back to top Go down
Limepop
Limepop

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 5:32 am

@ Sealed: Polish, oh woah! I didn't expect that one. Surprised Was it something you picked up from where you live(d), your parents, or school? (I'm going to feel very silly if you say you're from Poland now. ;<)

@ Anony: Yesss, take Japanese! I actually never planned on taking Japanese (I was kind of forced into it, since my program required a non-romance and non-germanic language ... and I was taking BOTH German and Latin at the time. sdalkjsadf), but it's been so worthwhile. I know I've lost blood and tears to all those classes, but I don't think I've ever enjoyed taking a language class so much before.
Back to top Go down
SirAnon
SirAnon

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 5:39 am

Well aren't you enthusiastic? That's really amazing. To be interested in something to such a degree, it really is. For some reason I imagine you giggling while you type all this, lol.

Anyway, yes I will take the class and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I actually wanted to learn Japanese so that I could visit Japan some time in my life. It's not just to visit Tokyo either, I actually want to travel the entire country.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 5:42 am

-English 90%
-Spanish 100%
-French 60%

Do I need to learn anything else? ):<
Back to top Go down
Aries
Aries

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 5:44 am

Limepop wrote:
@ Sealed: Polish, oh woah! I didn't expect that one. Surprised Was it something you picked up from where you live(d), your parents, or school? (I'm going to feel very silly if you say you're from Poland now. ;<)

@ Anony: Yesss, take Japanese! I actually never planned on taking Japanese (I was kind of forced into it, since my program required a non-romance and non-germanic language ... and I was taking BOTH German and Latin at the time. sdalkjsadf), but it's been so worthwhile. I know I've lost blood and tears to all those classes, but I don't think I've ever enjoyed taking a language class so much before.

Yes I'm Polish, and American, I have both passports. Smile

My whole family is from Poland, I'm the first child that was born in the U.S.. I've lived in the U.S. most of my life, but I did live in Poland and other parts of Europe for a couple years.

I learned Spanish from playing soccer since I was little. Where I was raised mostly Hispanics played soccer, but I was the best one on the field so they liked me a lot and taught me the language over time. *FYI I'm very athletic*

Russian, I learned Russian from my cousins, but I don't speak it fluently, only enough to understand what I'm trying to say.

I want to learn a Asian language so I can visit the countries and get to know people, plus I always wanted a Asian girlfriend, lol.

~Sealed
Back to top Go down
Limepop
Limepop

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 5:48 am

@ Anony: Well, you wouldn't be entirely off about the giggling bit, ahah. I have as much enthusiasm for languages as I do for sleeping (which says a lot, because I'm about 2 levels away from capping the Napper profession ...nap a lot).

& in that case, maybe I'll be seeing you around there! I'll be applying to various programs to teach abroad after I get my masters, and Japan is actually pretty high on that list. Very Happy~ We can go climb mountains together and hopefully not fall to our deaths and onsen it up!

@ Epic: YES. Learn Japanese and come to Japan with us!

@ Sealed: Oh wow, that's the best way to learn Spanish, ahah. I'm jealous! I've been around hispanics all my life, but I've never been able to pick up more than how to ask where the library is or to hit on girls by calling them mami and wolf-whistling out of the car. Sad Nice motivation for learning an asian language, ahahaha. How suave of you ;P You can come with us (Anony + Josephine) to Japan!
Back to top Go down
Raiken
Raiken

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 5:49 am

Erm....

I guess here I go :

- Greek +++++
- English ++++
- French ++
- Russian ++++
- Ukrainian ++
- Czech +1/2

Epic wrote:

Do I need to learn anything else? ):<

Yes, to ride a normal bike Very Happy and come with me for a Down Hill ride in Slovakia this summer Wink

Last edited by Raiken on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SirAnon
SirAnon

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 5:55 am

Lol, Sealed. That's just as good a reason as any to learn an Asian language. Definitely.

And Limey, I'm sure I could nap circles around you....and I don't mean I sleep walk. Well, since I'm going for a PhD myself, I might look into that. About climbing mountains...sure, putting my life in danger is always fun. If you're there, it'll be twice as fun.

I've never been in an onsen before, so that should definitely be interesting lol.
Back to top Go down
Aries
Aries

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 6:04 am

SirAnon wrote:
Lol, Sealed. That's just as good a reason as any to learn an Asian language. Definitely.

And Limey, I'm sure I could nap circles around you....and I don't mean I sleep walk. Well, since I'm going for a PhD myself, I might look into that. About climbing mountains...sure, putting my life in danger is always fun. If you're there, it'll be twice as fun.

I've never been in an onsen before, so that should definitely be interesting lol.

Dude!!! We could climb Mount Fujiwaka or whatever its called.......
And yes, I have a fetish for Asian women. Wink

~Sealed
Back to top Go down
SirAnon
SirAnon

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 6:09 am

Fetish? Hm, that's a strong word lol. I do have a preference for Asian women, but I would not call it a fetish.

This is a language thread anyway. If you don't stay on topic Limey will eat you alive D:<
Back to top Go down
Limepop
Limepop

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 11:18 am

Sealed wrote:

And yes, I have a fetish for Asian women. Wink

~Sealed

That wink almost scares me, Sealed! :9

& wow, Raiken -- I know who to go to if I pick up Greek and need help on my homework! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Here I go:

First: I am bad at any language, but I always try to learn new ones ^^

German: NativeSpeaker and studied for 2 years
English: Born in El Paso Texas -.- And At my last TOIEC Test one year ago I got the certificate for Native Speaker XD But as you read my posts, it really suckz (but I dont think while writing, I could do better if I want to XD)
Latin: Learned it 5 years and I can still read and translate it. But no speaking, its a dead language and only a few teacher / profs can speak Latin fluent.
Spanish: Learned it at school for 2 years after I finised Latin. And my Aunt is Hispanic. But cant speak or read it very well. Enough to order a beer and flirt with the girls Wink
Suomi: Got a exchange student some years ago and like above its enough for the main themes in life ^^
Russia: Have a lot Russian Friends. They always tought me it ^^ All bad words for sure and for main things

And well some single words from Greece, Korea(EXGirlfrfiend), Japan, China, Turk(EXG), Iran(EXG), Italia (EXG), Sweden (EXG)
Back to top Go down
Ryuuketsu
Sovereign - Major
Sovereign - Major
Ryuuketsu

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Impressive lists there by most of you all.

Unfortunately, English is the only language I can read, write and speak fluently.

I know a few words in Japanese which I've picked up from the anime I watch, but that's that.

~Ryuu
Back to top Go down
Kóinzell
+ Sovereign Loyalists - Veteran
+ Sovereign Loyalists - Veteran
Kóinzell

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 3:23 pm

Estonian: +++++
English: ++++
German: ++ (Can understand the most of german words...The problem is, I myself can't speak it for some reason..)
Japanese: + (I can understand the most basic lines and say quite a few words. )
Russian: -l (Half of the +)
Back to top Go down
SirAnon
SirAnon

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 8:33 pm

Don't worry Ryuu, Language is a beautiful thing. You can always take the time to learn a new one Razz
Back to top Go down
Reivalt Geriant
Reivalt Geriant

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 9:37 pm

My list isn't too impressive but..here it is.

Dutch is my native language. It's similar to German (Deutsch) and often mistaken for that. That aside, I don't like it alot. The grammer makes no sense and it sounds odd too. I prefer to talk in English, writing in English and think in English.

English is the language I like the most and can express myself the best in. I often get people asking me if it's my native, but I think there are still lots of things for me to improve.

German is a language I've studied for 2 years, but only the basics have stayed with me. When reading it I can make out most of what it says, talking or writing it is alot more complex Razz

Also studied French and some Spanish but dropped it. Didn't like it.

And like the other, picking up some Japanese from watching animes. The first conversation I had with someone was about who knew the most swearing words..not a good start Razz

End.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sovereign-legion.net/
Limepop
Limepop

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 1:40 am

Yay, Johnny is my partner in Latin! :] (And wow, you have ... learned so many languages from your ex-gf's! Ahahah)

& eeee, Syn! I'm going to pester you about speaking a line in Dutch on GSC! I've never heard it before, so now I'm even more curious.
Back to top Go down
Reivalt Geriant
Reivalt Geriant

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:53 am

I'm not sure if you want to hear it though. Speaking in Dutch in real life is where I got this low and boring voice from. Unlike English with all emphasizes put on accents Dutch is more like just reading up something from a paper.

Alas, if it's a request from one of our girls I can't turn it down..so just remind me next time you see me on GSC Razz

Point of interest is that Infina also speaks Dutch, but with a Belgium accent. I speak it with the native accent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sovereign-legion.net/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Language Thread   Foreign Language Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Foreign Language Thread
Page 1 of 1